Green Tea Mousse & Red Bean Cake

>> Saturday, April 17, 2010


As much as I like chocolate, it was time to attempt something else apart from the usual chocolate and cheese related stuff.


Covered with green tea chocolate ganache. Ganache's was a little too sweet in my opinion. I had a problem, though. Whenever making a souffle kind of sponge cake, it will always shrink at the top end as it cooled, leaving somewhat of a trapezium cross section. In the end, I had to trim off the sides, resulting in a smaller cake.


Three layers of souffle sponge with green tea mousse in between, as well as adzuki or japanese red bean.


I like the end result. The cake was soft, and the combination of green tea and red bean went well together. I did think the green tea taste could have been stronger. And I still need to improve my skills at stacking a layered cake and applying the ganache.

...........................................................................................................................................
Recipe
Printable Recipe


Sponge Cake
Eggs 4
Castor Sugar 90g
Water 30g
Vegetable Oil 50g
Flour 90g
Green Tea powder 1 1/2tsp

1. Separate the yolks from the whites.
2. In a bowl, mix the yolks, water, oil and half of the sugar together.
3. Add in the green tea powder and flour, and mix well till no longer lumpy. You will have a thick batter.
4. In a clean bowl, whisk the eggs into a meringue, adding the remaining sugar as you go along.
5. Fold the meringue into the batter.
6. Bake at 170 degrees C for 30 minutes.

Green Tea Mousse
Castor Sugar 70g
Fresh Milk 150g
Green Tea Powder 2tsp
Whipping Cream 300g
Gelatine Powder 10g
Water 50ml

1. Dissolve the gelatine powder in the water.
2. Heat the milk and dissolve the sugar and green tea powder in.
3. Remove from heat, add in the gelatine and leave to cool.
4. Whip the cream until fold into the cooled milk mixture.

Green Tea Ganache
White Chocolate 200g
Cream 200g
Green Tea Powder 2tsp

1. Melt the white chocolate in a microwave at High for a minute.
2. Heat the cream over your stove and mix in the green tea powder.
3. Pour the hot cream into the chocolate and mix well, ensuring all the chocolate had melted and mixed well with the cream. Leave to cool, or put into your freezer for a while until it become thick and more easily spreadable.

Assembly
You will need a can of adzuki beans which is already cooked and sugared.

1. Slice the cake into your preferred number of layers. Or you can even bake and extra round of the sponge cake to create thicker layers.
2. Alternate the mousse and sponge cake layers, adding in your desired amount of red beans within each mousse layer. It's easier if you have a cake ring you can use. I didn't, so I refrigerated the mousse until it is thick and spreadable.
3. Once all the layers are completed, spread a little of your cooled ganache all around cake pop into the fridge until it is a little solidified. This helps in sealing the crumbs of the cake and avoid a grainy texture on the ganache.
4. Spread the ganache over the cake until the whole cake is well covered.

12 comments:

spsq April 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

I'm in the mood for something different - I think I'll throw this one on the family table! Except I have to make my own bean paste - got beans coming out of my ears....

ダニエル・タン April 17, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

spsq, I was lazy to make my own paste. Let me know if you need a recipe; I can source from some japanese websites..

spsq April 19, 2010 at 3:55 AM  

It's okay - I've got some sources!

TK April 20, 2010 at 12:55 AM  

I was looking around on tastespotting and this just looked great! I was wondering what size pan you used to bake the sponge cake?

ダニエル・タン April 20, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

Hi TK,

I used an approximately 22cm by 22cm square tin. It was enough for me to slice in half to get 2 layers per tin, although I accidentally torn one layer so I ended with only 3..

test it comm April 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

Nice looking cake! I really like the matcha and red bean flavour!

ダニエル・タン April 22, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

thanks. i agree matcha and red bean mixes well..just like chocolate and banana!

Unknown August 13, 2010 at 1:12 AM  

I was curious if you could link a recipe for the bean paste? I have a bunch of beans and I tried once before to make paste but failed..so if you could it would be greatly appreciated xD

- m i c h e l l e - October 12, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

Hi there, you mentioned above in the comment that you had 4 layers? Does that mean that the sponge cake recipe can make 2 portions of 22cm x 22cm square tin? Or did you double the recipe? Thanks! :)

ダニエル・タン October 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

Hi coon-coon,

Here's a recipe for the red bean paste:
http://www.applepiepatispate.com/japanese/sweet-azuki-red-bean-paste/

Michelle,

yes, the recipe above gave me 4 layers. you can make more if you prefer thicker layers.

- m i c h e l l e - October 13, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

Can the recipe also make two 8" round pan cakes, you think? I don't have square pans. :$

Sorry to be asking these many questions. Thanks alot for your help! :)

Unknown March 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM  

Hi may I know what kind of cream did you use for the green tea ganache? Thanks!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

Related Posts with Thumbnails