My Macaron journey [Updated]

>> Sunday, September 6, 2009

My first batch on Sat, using the Italian meringue method.

Turned into 3 failed batches; all of them flat and porous.

Undeterred, I tried a second batch using the French meringue and with cocoa powder added.

They managed to rise, but were a little over-baked, too big and had fissures. I kept this batch though, and added dark chocolate ganache and Bailey's cream which I made myself. Didn't taste too bad, especially the next day.

Unsatisfied, on Sunday, I tried again. I followed the recipe here to the T. The batter looked good and thick, and a shell formed after some rest.

Unfortunately, I was still trying to get the right oven temperature. At 200 deg celsius, it came out browned with a large air pocket.

Next, I tried another batch at 150 deg celsius. The low temperature caused the feet to ooze really badly with a large air pocket as well. And another batch, I forgot to add my other half portion of eggs -_-" , leading to a really thick and wrinkly macaron (no pics here).
After 2 more failed batches, my second last batch turned out pretty good at 180 deg celsius. The feet developed and the top was smooth. Unfortunately, the sides were a little brown.
Inside the macaron, the body was good. There was no air pocket and the inside felt full enough.

My final batch which I covered with foil in the last few mins to prevent browning. I reduced the time as well, which led to some collapsing after cooling. But I had some which turned out well.

Tada! My successful ones filled with dark chocolate ganache. Finally got these bastards right!!

Oops...collapsed as I took my shot.

Well, after approximately 6 failed batches, at least I know which batter works and the right temperature for my oven. But I will only know the real taste tomorrow when the flavours blend.

Maybe next week, I shall attempt it again until I get it exactly right. At S$2.30 a pop from Canele, I'll be rich if I get it right. After all 2.5 eggs, sugar and almond meal yielded me 16 macarons. The difficulty is in the preparation of the batter and baking it right, not to mention the wastage from failed macarons. Macarons all the way!

But I still have so many things in my mind I wanna bake...

[Update]: After taste-testing the next day, I conclude that my while the shape of my last batch was good and there were no air pockets inside, the texture of the inside was a little undercooked. It looked a little too wet and crystallised. Perhaps because I baked it on a wired rack. Shall try again this weekend without the wire rack; maybe the undersides will cook better. Also, I need to perfect my ganache; seems a little too hard and can be softer and smoother. Now, on to hunt more macaron flavour recipes...

3 comments:

ダニエル・タン September 7, 2009 at 5:40 AM  

i'll bring some during lunch tomolo...assuming it doesn't melt haha

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

Related Posts with Thumbnails