2010 Winter Hokkaido Day 4 - Otaru

>> Saturday, January 23, 2010



Otaru is a coastal port town once flourishing with commerce. As that declined, the people turn towards glass-making. It houses glassware shops and is home to the oruguru or musical boxes, as well as the main shops of chocolatiers and confectioneries.

This is the view from Tengu-yama. Actually, there was pretty much nothing up there, save for this view and I was down within half an hour. However, Tengu-yama has a popular ski resort and you can see skiers along the way. I also saw a really cute little girl all wrapped up in ski gear and learning snowboarding.



 

A train once ran through the town, and its tracks are preserved for historical significance.

 

I was hunting for this shop which sells T-shirts and ice cream, and finally found it behind a corner.

 

 

One free ice cream per T-shirt bought. I wanted to try this at Hakodate but it was too cold then. This is ika sumi or squid ink ice cream. It was very creamy and sticky. Actually, I could not taste anything else besides its creaminess.

 

The Otaru canal, which once ferried boats along but no longer in use now. The warehouses were storage facilities in the past, but now houses some restaurants. During the winter festival, this place is lit with candles, and I am sure it would be beautiful at night. No worries though, as I am sure I will be back again!

 

 

 

A small area of eateries.

 

Had lunch at this tenpura shop.

 

Again, a small shop that seats less than 10.

 

I took the Hokkaido Ten-don. There was a mixture of crab, salmon, prawn and vegetables. The sauce was quite tasty. At the end of the meal, the owner asked if it was delicious. I guess I must have been too quiet eating again -_-"

 

 

Next to it was this shop that sold huge takoyaki, but I did not try as I was too full.

 

 

Next, I was making my way to the confectioneries. Along the way, there are many shops selling glassware. You can pay to experience making your own glass.

 

 

 

 

This is LeTao. There were many Hongkongers and Taiwanese snapping up the goodies. I bought my chocolates and I was served by a sweet smiling girl who turned out to be a Taiwanese working there. How I wish I could speak as fluently as her! Argh!

 

Opposite is the Oruguru museum. In front is a clock powered by steam. You can see a little steam coming out from the top of it.

 

Inside, they sell many glass souvenirs and musical boxes. I did not buy anything as I did not manage to find anything I fancied.

 

They also had on display a collection of antique musical boxes.

 

 

 

I had one last place I wanted to visited. Located inside what is Hall No. 3 is a really cool cafe.

 

 

 

Voila! The lights you see are actually all kerosene lamps. The lamps were pretty warm - good for a cold day.

 

I ordered a Matcha au liat. It was quite nice; not too sweet, but you can taste the milk.

 

I returned to Sapporo city, deposited my spoils of the day and walked the streets just with my jacket on. It had been a rainy day all day, and the rain subsequently turn into falling snow. I walked the streets under the falling snow, hands in pocket and hood up. A truly great experience.

 

No idea what to eat, so I decided to visit the food halls under the department stores. Here's a brand Singapore once had.

 

Bought an assortment of sushi. Better than my eki-bento at Hakodate, but this was too much rice.

 

The dumplings looked appetizing as I walked by, but this was a wrong order. I wanted some round shaped ones, but I guess I ordered wrongly. Still, they were pretty tasty.

 

Walked past this small stall at the station that sold grilled potatoes. This was amazing. Very sweet and moist. Right in the centre it is so soft you almost feel like you are eating mashed potatoes.

 

Devoid of fruits for the past day, I bought strawberries. Not the sweetest Japanese strawberries I ever eaten, but definitely sweet enough and better than our local ones.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP  

Related Posts with Thumbnails